Tuesday, March 25, 2008

WOODLAND CAFE





Recently I was talking to my wife about how dull modern cartoons are, I don't mean films from PIXAR or others, but regular TV cartoons. One of the truly appealing things about classic animation is it's use of music, from Disney's SILLY SYMPHONIES, to LOONEY TUNES and even the great TOM & JERRY shorts.




Music really drove the action in those films, and it's a real shame that TV animation is only about making a quick buck or mimicing bad anime these days, ANIMANIACS in the mid nineties came close.




Anyhow, one of my absolute favorite SYMPHONIES is WOODLAND CAFE and I just had to pick these models up a month or so ago.

1 comment:

docnad said...

I agree. The opening dance sequence in "Woodland Cafe" is sheer joy! This cartoon long has been one of my favorite Silly Symphonies, but with a few caveats. The opening third of this is just great: lively, energetic, and bouncy. The middle section, the spider and the fly dance, was never a favorite part for me. It just drags. The last section is better, but for me it's marred by some vintage Disney racial caricatures.