Saturday, October 13, 2012

From the Disney Art Class - 1935









It's amazing what you find when you move house, I totally forgot about this document until I unpacked a box full of files from my filing cabinet after my wife and I moved house recently.

Snow White was well into development by this point and Walt's famous memo to Don Graham articulating his views on the development of animation was just over a month away. This takes you there to that exciting time when animation was on the verge of the next exciting jump in evolution.

It's a great read, very fitting to find it as I'm about to push forward in finishing my first independant short film. All the Disney shorts mentioned by Dr. Morkovin are available on DVD and I believe the film "Sleep" he mentions is actually Robert Benchley's "How To Sleep" which was released in 1935.

Dr. Morkovin is Dr. Boris Morkovin who was the chairman of the department of cinematography at USC(University of Southern California).He was recuited in May 1935 to subject the construction of a gag to the same kind of scrutiny Don Graham scrutinized action.

No comments: